Baked Penne with Roasted Vegetables
| Sunday, Jan 12, 2014 | Updated 12:06 PM EDT
- 2 red peppers, cored and cut into 1-inch wide strips
- 2 zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 large portabello mushrooms, thick slices
- 1 large yellow sweet onion, peeled and sliced into 1-inch strips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic basil
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic parsley
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic oregano
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon Simply Organic red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 pound De Cecco penne pasta
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- 1 cup grated fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for topping
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut into piece
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, toss the peppers, zucchini, butternut squash, mushrooms, and onions with olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and dried herbs.
- Roast for 15 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat.
- Add the pasta and cook for 3 minutes less than box directions.
- Since you will be cooking the pasta a second time in the oven, you want to make sure the inside is undercooked.
- Drain in a colander.
- In a large bowl, toss in drained pasta and the roasted vegetables, marinara sauce, cheeses, peas, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Using a wooden spoon, gently combine, until all the pasta and vegetables are coated with the sauce.
- Pour the pasta into a greased 9 by 13-inch pan.
- Top with more parmesan and butter pieces.
- Bake until top is golden and cheese melts, 20-25 minutes.