- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 anchovy fillets, minced
- 1 egg yolk (see note)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup prepared salad croutons
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, washed and dried well, then chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
In a large wooden or glass bowl, combine Worcestershire sauce, mustard, minced garlic, minced anchovies, egg yolk and lemon juice, whipping with a whisk until well blended.
When the mixture is smooth and blended, slowly whisk in the olive oil in a steady stream.
Gently fold in the Parmesan cheese, croutons and chopped lettuce.
Season with freshly ground black pepper.
Divide among 6 salad plates. Makes 6 servings.
Note: On its website the American Egg Board estimates that one in 20,000 eggs may contain salmonella. To eliminate any risk of salmonella, substitute a pasteurized egg product such as Egg Beaters, which can be found in the dairy case.