You can make my Italian Sausage and Mushroom Stuffing a Paleo Recipe by omitting the stuffing mixture. I love Olivia’s gluten free stuffing mix and only use 2 cups. They also have traditional and cornbread but either way we give their products a A+
To make this a Paleo Recipe just omit the stuffing mix and add in cubes of butternut squash – We tested in our kitchen and we loved both options! Enjoy
1 stick or more unsalted butter, divided
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound Italian sausage (hot or sweet) (pork, turkey or chicken)
1 pound assorted fresh wild mushrooms
1 large yellow onion, chopped (1 cup)
2 celery stalks, chopped
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley or 2 teaspoons of dried parsley
1 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 bag baby spinach
1/2 cup chestnuts, chopped
2 large eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
2 cups stuffing mix
1 cup (or more) chicken broth
1. In a large sauté over medium-high heat 1 tablespoon of butter add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Remove casings from sausage and add to pan. Cook for about 8 minutes breaking apart into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
2. Chop the mushrooms and add them to the pan with the sausage. Sauté until mushrooms are tender and beginning to brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer sausage and mushrooms to large bowl and add 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt and pepper and stir to season sausage and mushrooms.
3. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in same pan over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 120minutes. Add all herbs; sauté 1 minute longer. Add spinach, chestnuts and toss for about 1 minute. Add vegetable mixture to bowl with sausage and mushrooms.
4. Preheat oven to 350°F.
5. Coat a 9×13-inch baking dish with 2 tablespoons of butter and put in the oven for 5 minutes to melt to get hot.
6. In a large bowl with the sausage and mushroom mixture add in stuffing mix. Whisk 2 eggs in a small bowl and add them to the mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Add in chicken broth and melt 2 tablespoons of butter and stir into the stuffing mixture.
7. Add to your prepared baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes until crispy on top.
8. Let sit for 10 minutes and enjoy!