Italian Sole Wrapped in Swiss Chard
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 1 (28 ounce) can san marzano tomatoes, crushed
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon or more dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme or fresh thyme plus more
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper plus more
- 1 pound dover sole or flounder
- 1 head swiss chard, rinsed and dried
- 1 lemon, juiced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat a 9×13 baking dish with oil. Add in onions, garlic and leek. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Pour in tomatoes then season with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Put back in the oven while you prepare the fish.
- Take swiss chard and cut the steam in the middle out of each leaf and lay on board.
- Cut the sold into 4 inch slices. Place a piece of sole on the swiss chard and lightly season with salt and pepper then a pinch of dried or fresh thyme.
- Squeeze or pour 1/8 teaspoon of fresh lemon juice then wrap swiss chard around sole. Finish preparing your sole.
- Take baking dish out of the oven and take out about 3/4 cup of the sauce in a measuring cup.
- Place wrapped sole in your baking dish then divide the reserved sauce to cover each (not completely).
- Bake for 15 minutes and enjoy a delicious meal.
Note: To clean leaks, slice then add to a bowl of water and using your fingers move around to release any dirt. Drain and they are ready! This recipe can also be made using cod.