Roasted Pumpkin, Sweet Sausage, and Tart Apple Soup
- 2 Italian sausage links, meat removed from casing
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3 cups pumpkin, peeled, seeded, diced ¾-inch
- 1 cup Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, diced ¾-inch
- 1 cup onions, diced ¾-inch
- 3 cups chicken broth, low sodium
- Salt, black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 400ºF. Heat a soup pot on medium-high heat. Add the sausage and olive oil. Cook, stirring for about two minutes or until the sausage is cooked and the fat is rendered. Using a slotted spoon, remove the sausage and reserve the fat.
Place the pumpkin, apples and onions in a bowl. Drizzle with enough of the sausage fat and olive oil to coat well. Lay out on a cookie sheet in a single layer. Roast in the oven for about 25 minutes or until tender and light golden brown, stirring occasionally.
Transfer the roasted vegetables into a soup pot. Add the chicken broth to the pot, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Puree using a hand potato masher or immersion blender until your desired consistency is reached. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
For more information, visit the CT Culinary School Web site.