This recipe serves four or more.
- 1 Pumpkin or Winter Squash-smaller size one if available
- 2 Tbsp. Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Onions-diced
- ½ Cup Celery-diced
- ½ Cup Carrots-diced
- 1 Cup Apples-diced
- 2 Tbsp. Jalapeno Pepper
- 1 tsp. Ground Coriander
- 4 C. Chicken or Vegetable Broth
- Salt and Black Pepper To Taste
- Slice squash in half, scoop seeds out (seeds may be toasted and used for garnish) and place cut side down on cookie sheet. Moisten pan with less than ¼” of water, cover with foil, and roast in 400° F. oven for 45 minutes or until tender. When tender, flip squash over, let cool slightly, and scoop out the roasted squash meat.
- In soup pot over medium high heat, add vegetable oil and onions, celery, carrrots, and apples. Cook for about 4 minutes or until softened and sweet smelling. Add the jalapeno and ground coriander , cook for 30 seconds. Add the roasted butternut squash, the chicken broth and apple juice. Bring to a boil, and simmer for about 15 minutes until all ingredients are tender.
- Transfer soup to blender or use a hand blender to purée soup to desired consistency. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve hot. Garnish with a dallop of sour cream, sliced apple, toasted squash seeds, etc. Enjoy!
Please Visit Chef Jamie’s Facebook Page.