This recipe makes about one quart
- 1 Cup Chopped Sassafras Roots
- 1 Quart Water
- 1 Vanilla Bean-split and scraped
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- As Needed Whipped Cream as a Garnish
- Place the roots, water, and vanilla in a pot and bring to a gentle boil.
- Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add the sugar and cook just to dissolve.
- Strain the mixture and cool thoroughly.
- Churn in an ice cream machine according to manufacturer's instructions.
- Serve with whipped cream if desired for a root beer float taste. Enjoy!