Tempura Sweet Potato with Orange-Chipotle Ketchup
| Tuesday, Oct 1, 2013 | Updated 1:07 PM EST
Tempura sweet potato
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- ½ cup tomato ketchup
- 3 Tbsp. orange marmalade
- 1 Tsp. chipotle pepper puree
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil, fine sea salt, as needed
- Sift together into a bowl the first measure of flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, egg and vegetable oil.
- Add the liquid to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. The batter should be a little thinner than pancake batter. If too thick, add more water. If too thin, add more flour. Reserve.
- Whisk together the ketchup, raspberry jam and chipotle pepper puree until smooth. Reserve.
- Heat a deep fryer with vegetable oil to 350 degrees. Dredge each sweet potato stick in the second measure of flour and then dip it into the batter.
- Let excess batter drip off and carefully place in the fryer. Drop them in small batches into the frying oil and cook for about three minutes or until darkened and the outside coating is crisp.
- Drain, season to taste with fine sea salt.
- Serve with the orange chipotle ketchup.