- ½ cup red onions - sliced very thinly
- ½ cup radish - shredded finely
- ½ cup cucumber - shredded finely
- ½ cup carrots - shredded finely
- 2 Tbsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- ½ cup rice vinegar
- 24 French bread slices - cut about 1/3” thick
- As needed, vegetable spray
- ¾ cup mayonnaise
- 3 Tbsp. Sriracha sauce - or added to taste
- 1 bunch cilantro - leaves removed from stem
- 24 slices cooked sausage - any favorite variety, warmed in oven
- Place the red onions, radish, cucumber, and carrots in a bowl. Toss with the salt and sugar. Let marinate for about 20 minutes or until wilted and the liquid is coming out. Drain and rinse, drain, and pat dry. Place in a small bowl or jar and add the vinegar, enough to cover. Keep vegetables submerged in the vinegar. Let marinate at least 30 minutes before using in the sandwich.
- Preheat oven to 400°f. Lay French bread slices out on a cookie sheet. Spray both sides with the vegetable spray, season the tops to taste with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for about 6 minutes or until moderately crisp and light golden. Let cool. While the oven is hot, heat up your sausage.
- Prepare the mayonnaise by mixing together the mayonnaise and Sriracha. Season to taste with salt, pepper, and sugar if desired. Reserve.
- Drain the pickled vegetables, and pat dry gently. Gently toss in about half of the cilantro leaves. Reserve remaining leaves for garnish. To assemble, top each bread slice with 1 tsp. of the mayonnaise. Top each bread slice with some of pickled vegetables. Top each bread slice with one thin slice of sausage. Garnish each with a squirt of the Sriracha mayonnaise and top with a cilantro leaf. Enjoy!
Lincoln Culinary Institute’s Website: www.lincolnculinary.com