Sesame Tempura Baby Bok Choy with Orange, Ginger and Chipotle Sauce
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 Tbsp. sesame seeds (black or white or mix)
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 egg
- 3 baby bok choy cabbage heads-cut into quarters
- 1 tsp. canola oil
- 2 tsp. fresh ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- ¾ cup orange marmalade
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- Chipotle puree to taste
- Canola oil for frying, as needed
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Sift together into a bowl the first measure of flour, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt. Add the sesame seeds. In a separate bowl, whisk together the water, egg, and vegetable oil. Add the liquid to the dry ingredients, whisk until smooth. The batter should be a similar thickness to pancake batter. If too thick, add more water, if too thin, add more flour. Reserve.
- Prepare the sauce by heating a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the canola oil and ginger. Cook for about 30 seconds, do not brown. Add the marmalade and vinegar. Bring to a boil, whisking until smooth. Flavor to taste with chipotle. Add salt and pepper if desired. Reserve.
- Heat a deep fryer with vegetable oil to 350ºF. Dredge each cabbage wedge into the batter. Let excess batter drip off and carefully dredge each wedge in the panko crumbs, coating both sides evenly, gently pressing to adhere the crumbs. Fry only 4- wedges at a time until a medium golden color. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper if desired. Serve with the sauce. Enjoy!
Visit the Lincoln Culinary Institute Web site.