Case Dismissed Against Former Hartford Schools Administrator - NBC Connecticut

Case Dismissed Against Former Hartford Schools Administrator

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    (Published Thursday, May 4, 2017)

    The case has been dismissed against a former Hartford Public Schools administrator who was forced to resign after being accused of inappropriate texts with a minor.

    Eduardo Genao, of Hamden, was the former executive director for compliance for the school district and resigned in April 2016 after he was accused of sending inappropriate text messages to a girl who lives out of state.

    Hartford's state attorney, Gail P. Hardy, said, "A review of the warrant revealed that when the "explicit" text messages were sent by Eduardo Genao, he was attending a conference in Atlanta, Georgia; and the victim was at her home in New York. That was confirmed by the Hartford Police Department's analysis of the phones belonging to the victim and Genao. So we did lack jurisdiction."

    Hardy said she and the U.S. Attorney's Office of Connecticut referred the case to the U.S. Attorney's Office in the Southern District of New York.

    According to Hardy, Genao did get the victim's number at an event at Bulkeley High School in March 2016, however, the messages didn't become explicit until April 4, 2016 when the victim was in New York and the man was in Georgia. 

    Hartford police traveled to New York to speak with the victim's mother. 

    Genao previously pleaded not guilty to risk of injury to a minor and the case was thrown out on Thursday. No additional information was immediately available.

    After allegations surfaced, questions arose about how the school district handled them, as well as others against Genao, and the school district responded to a critical report from the Office of the Child Advocate by implementing a new “Student Safety Action Plan”.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android