As the state gears up for its first major snowstorm of the season, Gov. Dannel Malloy is urging residents to avoid traveling Wednesday and rely on mass transit if possible.
“Quite frankly, if you can complete your travel plans today, you’d be far better off than tomorrow, based on current forecasts,” Malloy said at a news conference Tuesday afternoon.
\Malloy was joined by Department of Transportation Commissioner James Redeker, who said the state's trucks and snow blowers are ready to tackle more than a foot of snow if need be.
Redeker said this snow event is significant not because of the projected snowfall, but because of the timing.
"We want to be ready because a lot more people are going to be travelling and we want to give them the best trip possible," Redeker said.
Connecticut is ready with a fleet of nearly 900 state-owned and contractor plow trucks, in addition to 112 front loaders to remove snow and 11 massive snow blowers.
Equipment and crews sent to Western New York last week to help dig out after lake-effect snow blanketed the region are prepared to use their skills back in their home state.
"They're back and refreshed and ready to go," Redeker said.
Redeker said trucks will start treating roads before the storm and will also over-treat some sections of highway to prepare for the number of cars and trucks that are expected. He explained that crews will be strategic in where they prepare roads.
"We will only be treating places we think based on temperature needed to be pre-treated," Redeker said. "As the storm materializes we’re going to be putting down material, as much as necessary to keep the roads clear.”