Who's swinging a bigger pair--the folks who schedule their sequel months before their films comes out or the action star who writes his own sequel before his movie comes out?
With "The Amazing Spider-Man" not due to hit theaters until July 3, 2012, Sony Pictures has already declared that "The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (3D)" will drop May 2, 2014.
Look, we're old to enough to realize that all the talent involved was probably signed to a three-picture deal and that the studio had a ful story written out. But to implicitly declare that #1 will be such a hit that they're already comfortable staking claim to a date some three years out for #2? Well, that's just tacky.
Not to be outdone, however, is Jason Momoa, star of the upcoming "Conan" reboot. In a recent interview with Crave, he confirmed that he was signed on for a sequel, and when he was asked if there was a story yet, he said he'd written one himself.
"We want to incorporate three different things, because obviously you don't just want to do the [existing] story, because the fans already know it. You want to keep them on their toes. So, I think we have a good lock on it," Momoa told Crave. "Also, I feel it's beautiful... How many actors get to go in there and go, "I'm part of the writing process?" and care that much about the character, because he is a fan himself? It's great. You know some people go like, "It's great, I'm going to be in my trailer." I want to @#$%ing make a great Conan movie."
Momoa's previous writing credit is a short called "Brown Bag Diaries: Riding the Blinds in B Minor," which he made last year-that's it. So now he's written a big-budget action film?
Wonder how Andrew Garfield's script for "Amazing Spider-Man 3" is coming along?