January is National Blood Donor Month - the perfect time to resolve to be a regular blood donor and help save lives!
NBC and Telemundo Connecticut are once again partnering with the Hartford Yard Goats and The American Red Cross for our annual New Year's blood drive.
The drive will take place on Thursday, Jan. 13, from 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. at the following locations:
- Dunkin Donuts Park, 1214 Main St., Hartford, CT 06103
- West Hartford Town Hall, 50 South Main St., West Hartford, CT 06107
Donors are urged to schedule an appointment prior to arrival to help manage the flow of donors at the drives. You can schedule an appointment by visiting www.redcrossblood.org using sponsor code: NBCCT.
You can also call the Red Cross at 800-733-2767 or download the Red Cross Donor App to sign up for any of the two locations.
COVID-19 precautionary requirements will be implemented on both locations during the blood drives to promote safety measures:
- Face masks will be required for all individuals.
- All waiting chairs, donor beds, health history booths & refreshment stations will be spaced 6 feet apart.
- Hand sanitizer will be provided for use before entering the drive, as well as throughout the donation process.
- Surfaces and equipment will be disinfected, including all donor-touched areas after every collection.
- Red Cross employees will conduct donor mini-physicals to ensure donors are healthy and well on day of donation.
As people begin to get COVID-19 vaccination boosters, the Red Cross is following Food and Drug Administration blood donation eligibility guidance for those who receive an initial vaccination or a booster:
- There’s no deferral time for those receiving the Pfizer, Moderna or Johnson & Johnson vaccines.
- Knowing the name of the manufacturer of the vaccine received is important when coming in to donate.
- Additionally, there is also no deferral after a flu vaccine, so long as the donor is symptom-free and feeling well the day of donation.