NBC Connecticut is proud to support the American Cancer Society in the Making Strides for Breast Cancer 5K.
Join us for Breast Cancer Awareness Month at any of the following walks:
- Sunday, Oct. 4 in Litchfield
- Sunday, Oct. 18 in Hartford (First Alert Meteorologist Bob Maxon will emcee)
- Sunday, Oct. 18 in New Haven
- Sunday, Oct. 18 in Waterbury
- Sunday, Oct. 18 in Westport
- Sunday, Oct. 25 in New London
The walks raise money for research and making early detection screenings available to all women.
The American Cancer Society has hosted the breast cancer walks since 1993, with 10 million walkers from almost 300 communities walking to raise a collective total of $594 million in that time to raise awareness and funds to battle breast cancer.
About 232,670 women in the U.S. will likely be diagnosed with breast cancer this year and an estimated "40,000 will die from the disease," according to the American Cancer Society.