The first day of school may seem far off in the future, but right now students and teachers are struggling to prepare. Teachers are spending their own money to stock their classrooms with necessary supplies. Many school children and families in the Hartford area start the school year at a disadvantage, without the common items needed to learn.
All too often, kids don’t have the school supplies — pens, paper, notebooks and more — that they need to succeed in school. Teachers struggle to fill the gap without the resources they need.
NBC Connecticut, together with Travelers and Hoffman Auto Group are joining forces for the 2017 Supporting Our Schools drive. All proceeds will benefit students and schools affiliated with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Hartford. From backpacks to books, students in the Hartford area start the school year at a disadvantage. This is your opportunity to make a difference for children and classrooms from kindergarten through high school.
This is all part of a national effort from the NBC/Telemundo Owned Television Stations.
“Every year, teachers pay for classroom supplies their students will need out of their own pocket while students and their families weigh the costs of paying for school supplies and other household financial needs. To help address these needs, our NBC and Telemundo stations are hosting “Supporting our Schools,” a monthlong awareness campaign to help raise awareness about classroom needs and what communities can do to help local educators and school-bound children. Education is the key that unlocks the doors to endless opportunities and I’m proud that our local teams are stepping up to the plate to help their neighbors and strengthen their communities.”
- Valari Staab, President, NBCUniversal Owned Television Stations
This year there are three different ways you can participate:
--July 1 - 29: Donate directly at donorschoose.org/nbcct. This site will direct you to specific teacher requests for enrichment tools for their classroom.
--July 29th is our one day drive from 9am – 12pm at Hoffman Auto Group of East Hartford, 650 Connecticut Boulevard, East Hartford, CT, 06108. We hope you'll come out and donate, and say hi to our NBC CT team!
--July 1 – 29 all 12+ Hoffman Auto Group locations will have a donation box that you can stop in and donate school supplies there. The locations include:
- Hoffman Audi/Auto Body - 700 Connecticut Boulevard
- Hoffman Ford Lincoln - 600 Connecticut Boulevard
- Hoffman Lexus - 750 Connecticut Boulevard
- Hoffman Porsche - 630 Connecticut Boulevard
- Hoffman Honda - 40 Albany Turnpike
- Hoffman Nissan/Auto Body - 46 Albany Turnpike, Route 44 Avon/Canton line
- Hoffman Toyota - 36 Albany Turnpike
- Hoffman Audi - 490 Broad Street
- Hoffman BMW - 699 Straits Turnpike
Here is a list of school supplies needed:
• Backpacks big enough to fit a 3-inch 3 ring binder in and other school supplies
• #2 Pencils/ #7 Mechanical Pencils
• Permanent Black Markers
• 1-subject notebooks
• 3-inch 3 ring binders
• 3 hole, colored subject dividers
• 3 hole folder
• Eraser, pencil eraser tops
• Stapler, staples, staple remover
• Loose-leaf, college ruled, three hole punch paper
• Portable dictionaries/ thesaurus
• Glue sticks
• Pencil sharpener
• Construction paper, various colors
• Index cards
• Pencil holder
• Book covers
Supplies for teachers/classrooms:
• Facial Tissue
• Paper Towels
• Hand soap
• Hand sanitizer
• Copy Paper
• Duct tape
• 3 hole punch
• Dry erase markers
We’ll be telling stories through the end of July from Connecticut to raise awareness about what can be done to help students and teachers thrive.