Caramelized Apple Tarte Tatin
Served with Calvados Cream
Makes six 4 inch individual tartes
Cooking time: 30 + 20min.
- 2.5 lbs apples (Golden delicious or Fuji)
- 8 oz granulated sugar
- 4 oz butter
- ½ lb puff pastry dough (frozen)
- 1 C whipping cream
- 1 to 2 oz apple brandy (Calvados)
- Remove dough from freezer and set flat on baking pan to defrost (leave the parchment paper wrapper) and place in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Place the tart molds on a baking pan.
- Peel apples, cut them in half, remove the core, cut each piece in half again.
- Make caramel. Place sugar in a medium size pot with 1Tbp water and cook until light brown caramel.
- Remove pot from heat and Add the butter to the caramel, stir until melted.
- Pour equal amount of caramel into each of the tart molds.
- Arrange the apple slices in the mold overlapping and tightly packed.
- Place in oven for 30 min. until apples start to soften and let rest at room temperature.
- In the meantime, take the puff pastry dough out of the refrigerator, cut out 6 -4.25 inch disks and place over
the apples. You should have a little overhang.
- Put back in the oven for another 20-25 min. until dough is golden brown.
- Let cool at room temperature and unmold onto the dessert plates (the tarts will unmold better when still warm).
- While the tarts are cooling down, whip the cream, add the apple brandy and serve on the side.
Note: You can replace the brandy with chopped walnuts or serve vanilla ice cream instead of whipped cream.