Kale, Red Cabbage, Orange & Sunflower Seed Salad
- 4 to 6 kale leaves, washed and rinsed
- ¼ head red cabbage
- 1 small cucumber
- ½ fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1 orange, supreme
- 3 tbsp. tamari sunflower seeds
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced and pickled (see below)
Finely shred the kale and red cabbage and place in a bowl. Score the cucumber, halve and remove the seeds, thinly slice, and add to the bowl. Add the fennel, orange, sunflower seeds and sea salt. Toss together with the pickled red onions with some of the pickling juice as the dressing.
For Pickled Onion
- 2 red onions, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1 cup water
Bring vinegar, sugar and water to a boil. Pour over sliced red onion, cool and let marinate for at least one day.