The Governor’s Residence in Hartford will be decorated for the holidays and the governor is inviting Connecticut residents to attend the open house and take a tour.
The mansion at 990 Prospect Ave. will open to the public for tours during an open house.
The dates and hours of the open house are: Friday, Dec. 7, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Saturday, Dec. 8, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.; and Sunday, Dec. 9, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
“The Christmas season is one of my favorite times of the year, and Cathy and I love having everyone over for this longstanding Connecticut tradition,” Gov. Dannel Malloy said in a statement. “Not only does this give us an opportunity to share our own family’s personal collection of Christmas decorations, but a number of Connecticut growers and small businesses are also generously donating seasonal trimmings for us to share. We look forward to having everyone join us in the holiday spirit.”
This is Malloy's final holiday season as governor after deciding not to run for re-election.
Jones Family Farms in Shelton and the Connecticut Greenhouse Growers Association made donations for the event.
Santa will also be at the governor’s residence throughout the weekend.
The governor said the residence is ADA accessible.
There is no admittance fee and tickets are not needed, but donations will be accepted on behalf of Operation E.L.F., an annual initiative of the Connecticut Military Department that assists military families in need.
Suggested donations include:
- Financial contributions through checks that can be made payable to the Connecticut National Guard Foundation, Inc. (in the memo field please write “Operation E.L.F.”)
- Gift cards for grocery stores, department/home goods stores, pharmacies, and gas stations
- Contribution of services such as fuel oil, snow removal, and home maintenance services
Live entertainment will be performed by the following:
Friday, Dec. 7:
- 10 a.m. – Plainfield High School Chamber Choir
- 11 a.m. – The Woodstock Academy Hill Singers
- Noon – Hawkapella (University of Hartford a capella group)
- 1 p.m. – TBA
- 2 p.m. – The Ethel Walker School music program (Simsbury)
Saturday, Dec. 8:
- 10 a.m. – Extreme Measures (UConn a capella group)
- 11 a.m. – Conard High School Choir (West Hartford)
- Noon – Emmanuel Christian Academy Choir (Newington)
- 1 p.m. – Opus 4 String Quartet (South Windsor)
- 2 p.m. – Conn-Men (UConn a capella group)
Sunday, Dec. 9
- 10 a.m. – Trintones (Trinity College a capella group)
- 11 a.m. – Newington High School Choir
- Noon – Hall High School Choraliers (West Hartford)
- 1 p.m. – Vocaholix