Lawn Care Chemicals Can Pose Threat to Children

Every April as the temperatures being to rise, families are presented with new potential dangers. While parents are working to clean and beautify their lawns and properties, lawn care chemicals can pose a risk, particularly for children.

According to the Connecticut Poison Control Center, calls about pesticide poisoning spike in the spring and summer months. These substances are poisonous when swallowed, inhaled or spilled on the skin.

CPCC educator Amy Hanoian-Fontana says pesticide poisonings can be very serious and most occur while lawn care and insect repellant product is in use.

The center has some simple tips to follow to minimize the risk of accidental poisoning.

  • Buy and use only legally sold, EPA-registered pesticides.
  • Prepare and use the product exactly as directed on the label.
  • Use the product ONLY for what it is intended.
  • Store pesticides in a locked cabinet or out of reach of children.
  • Close containers securely to avoid accidental spills.
  • Use original containers to prevent accidental ingestion.
  • Safely dispose of pesticides not in use.

Hanoian-Fontana says if you suspect that pesticide poisoning has occurred, remove the person from the environment right away, take off their clothing, wash him or her with soap and water several times.

The Connecticut Poison Control center can be reached any time at 1-800-222-1222.

Contact Us