Carbon Monoxide Trouble Sends 9 to ER

Gas leak literally off the charts

Nine people in Winsted, including emergency crews, became sick from carbon monoxide levels so high that even the equipment used to measure the gas couldn't read it.

Firefighters said a gas-powered generator might have been running all day and caused the high levels.

The fire department was called to the home on East Wakefield Boulevard Wednesday night and found an unconscious man and another showing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

It didn't take long for those fumes to sicken the rescuers. Before pulling both men to safety, three police officers and four EMT's were also poisoned.

Crews had to open the doors and windows to air out the home. Firefighters said the injuries are not life-threatening.

Contact Us