Just north of Downtown Hartford, behind a wrought iron fence, a red stone tower rises from a grassy field. It serves as a reminder of the Keney family’s presence in 19th century Hartford and stands guard over the busy six-way intersection that historically formed the northern gateway to the city center.
The Keney Memorial Clock Tower was built in 1898 with funds from the will of Henry Keney. Although the structure appears as though it might have once been part of a church, the tower has always stood alone. It was built in memory of Mr. Keney’s mother, and on the site of both the Keney Family home and the wholesale grocery business that Mr. Keney ran with his brother.
Take a walk through the area one day when you have an opportunity. Right now it is a little desolate, but the Hartford Public Safety Complex and the Capital Preparatory School projects will hopefully spur additional development in the years to come.
Trivia Question (hartfordhistory.net)
Earlier Image of the Tower (ctgenweb.org)
Info About the Bells (swbell.net)