Jewett City

Man Found Dead After Fire at Gas Station in Jewett City

NBC Universal, Inc.

A person is dead after they were found in a restroom at a gas station in Jewett City on Wednesday.

Connecticut State Police said the man suffered burns in a fire at the Chucky's Mobil gas station on Main Street at approximately 11:15 a.m.

The person's identity has not yet been confirmed, according to police.

The Connecticut State Police Fire and Explosion Investigation Unit, as well as the Eastern Major Crime Unit, are investigating the blaze.

"I walked by there this morning. There were cop cars, there were firetrucks. I’m like 'what in the world?' And I shop there all the time. It’s a nice mom and pop," said Joe Black of Griswold.

No information has been released on the extent of any damage to the building, however police said the blaze was confined to the restroom.

It's unclear what started the fire. The state fire marshal's office was also requested to respond.

"You don’t understand it. You don’t think it can happen to you because we are such a small sleepy town," said Mike Minarsky, who's lived in Griswold his whole life.

"It’s rattling for everybody. Never mind just people in the borough but in the entire town," he continued.

State police said the scene remains active at this time.

Contact Us