Firefighters evacuated residents from 11 buildings in the area of Bedford Street in Hartford after contractors struck a gas line Wednesday evening, causing a leak, according to the fire department.
Crews were called to 116 Bedford Street shortly before 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, when the line ruptured. No one was hurt and no fire was reported, but emergency responders evacuated 11 buildings and metered the area.
Fire crews cleared the scene around 7 p.m., and residents of nine of those buildings have since returned to their homes, according to the fire department.
Fire officials said they expect they expect the other two buildings to be cleared later this evening after Connecticut Natural Gas crews finish making repairs.
The fire department said Connecticut Natural Gas was working on a plan to stop the leak.
It's not clear if residents have been allowed back inside the evacuated buildings.