Patrons visiting the La Salle Road Post Office in West Hartford Center Wednesday night were surprised to hear that the United States Postal Service was considering closing the branch.
"I would think it’s busy with the center and everything,” said Jay McDonough of West Hartford. “It's got a lot of action."
But the West Hartford branch is one of 13 locations across the state on the chopping block. That’s bad news for Yael Freimann, who walks here from her house.
"It's just easy and it has that 24-hour automated service,” Freimann said.
Maureen Marion, a spokesperson, said the U.S. Postal Service is looking to save money by consolidating branches, and that means 13 locations in Connecticut could close.
Kilby station on Washington Avenue in New Haven is another that could close. Luz Viera was dropping letters in the mail Monday night when she heard of the possible closure.
"They shouldn't close it,” Viera said. “A lot of people come here that live in the area, a lot of elderly people.”
Before deciding which locations will close, the Postal Service will look at things like foot traffic, rent and proximity to other businesses, Marion said.
Business at Domenic's Pizza in West Haven would suffer if the Baybrook Post office next door closed, the pizza shop owner said.
"It would affect us quite a bit because that post office generates a lot of people here to the plaza and they do their postal work, come next door, pick up their pizza and go on their way,” Domenic Gianngotti said.
The Postal Service is aiming for minimal impact, Marion said. However, many patrons expect longer lines at the branches that will remain open.
"We have a lot of post offices in the area, but they are all busy anyway, so obviously they are in use," said Yael Freimann.
The 13 locations that will be studied for closure include:
- Barnum Station, 411 Barnum Ave., Bridgeport - part of the consolidation study
- Nobel Station, 934 East Main St., Bridgeport - part of the consolidation study
- 850 Main St., East Hartford - - will be studied
- Trolley Square branch, 159 Main St., East Haven - part of the consolidation study
- Mt. Carmel Carrier Annex, 275 Mount Carmel Ave., Hamden - part of the consolidation study
- Blue Hills Station, 433 Woodland St., Hartford - will be studied
- Old State House Station, 80 State House Square, Hartford - will be studied
- Kilby Station, 369 Washington Ave., New Haven - part of the consolidation study
- Westville Station, 95 Fountain St., New Haven - part of the consolidation study
- Glenbrook Station, 370 Hope St., Stamford - part of the consolidation study
- West Avenue Station, 317 West Ave., Stamford - part of the consolidation study
- 102 La Salle Road, West Hartford - will be studied
- Baybrook Station, 14 Ocean Ave., West Haven - part of the consolidation study