Court Documents Reveal More Information on Shooting Death of Wethersfield High Junior

Bond was set at $1 million.

A 16-year-old Wethersfield High School junior was shot and killed Thursday night and an 18-year-old graduate of the high school has been charged with murder.

Court records said Noah Hendron, 18, of Wethersfield, was playing with a gun on the porch of a home on Alison Lane, pointed the weapon at the victim’s head and fired a shot.

"Our community has suffered a tragic loss this past evening," Mayor Paul F. Montinier said on Friday. "Something that doesn't frequently happen in a community life Wethersfield, where such an awful tragedy typically escapes us."

An autopsy that was done on Friday said the manner of death is being considered a homicide and the cause of death was a bullet to the brain, police said. 

Police said they initially received a call at 6:34 p.m. from a resident of Middletown Avenue who reported hearing an argument behind the house and a gunshot, so police went to investigate but did not find a victim.

At 8:17 p.m., police received a 911 call from a friend of the victim who said his friend had been shot and the shooter had left the house in a vehicle, police said.

Officers responded to the scene and found the 16-year-old dead. Police have not identified the boy, but the school superintendent said he was a junior at Wethersfield High School.

One witness report was that Hendron arrived at the house and was excited about buying his first handgun.

After smoking marijuana, Hendron was playing with the gun, removed all the bullets, but put one back in and pointed it at the victim’s head.

Before the shooting, the victim and witness had told Hendron to stop pointing the gun, but he laughed and kept pointing the gun and eventually fired a shot, striking the victim, according to court documents.

The victim's name has not been released by police, but the mayor identified the 16-year-old as Vincent Basile. 

The sound of the gunshot frightened the witness and he said Hendron was surprised that the gun went off and said the shooting was an accident, according to a witness.

When the witness said they should call police, Hendron’s response was that they could not and would have to make up a story that someone else was involved, according to the police report.

Fearing Hendron would shoot him, one witness said he called police after Hendron left.

Police said they found Hendron on Ridge Road, near Jordan Lane, detained him and located the gun hidden in a storm drain.

When police questioned him, Hendron told them the victim left hours before he did, according to police.

He was charged with murder and criminal use of a firearm and was brought to police headquarters.

Bond for Hendron remains at $1 million. He appeared in court in New Britain and is due back in court on Nov. 21.

Crisis teams are being brought in for students and staff of Wethersfield High School.

School officials said Hendron also went to Wethersfield High School and graduated this year.

This investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information is asked to call the Wethersfield Police Detective Division at (860) 721-2901.

Contact Us