2 Overcome By Carbon Monoxide

The pair were sleeping at a Meriden restaurant with a generator running inside.

Two people who had been sleeping inside a Meriden restaurant were overcome by carbon monoxide on Friday morning.

Workers showed up at La Fontana Restaurant at 464 Colony St. and smelled something inside. They called 911 at 9 a.m. after finding two co-workers barely conscious inside the restaurant.

The restaurant where the victims had been sleeping on mattresses was without power.

Firefighters brought the pair outside and rushed them to Midstate Medical Center. One of the victims was transferred to Hartford Hospital, but was expected to recover, according to a relative.

Fire officials found a propane heater and a generator inside the building. They are trying to determine which device was responsible for the carbon monoxide.

There have been four carbon monoxide deaths in Connecticut since last weekend's snowstorm knocked out power to more than 950,000 people. Emergency crews have responded to hundreds of carbon monoxide calls due to homeowners running generators or even charcoal grills indoors.

Contact Us