East Hartford residents described a chaotic scene Friday morning as sirens blared in their quiet neighborhood.
“It was like, wow! Something major is happening up there because (firetrucks) keep rolling out,” said Kevin Green who is visiting from Michigan and staying with his parents in their East Hartford home.
Charred and burned, a single family home was left in ruin by a fire that left three people displaced just two days after Christmas.
“Devastating. It really is. It’s sad, especially at this time, to see something like this,” said Carole Greene of East Hartford.
Firefighters said the blaze began in the garage around 10:20 a.m. before rapidly spreading to the house.
“The amount of fire when somebody is home, for it to get that much of a head start, was a little more than what we would normally expect,” said East Hartford Fire Chief John Oates.
The East Hartford fire marshal will conduct the investigations. A representative from the fire marshal’s office said he thinks this is an accidental fire and no cause has yet been identified.
Dozens of firefighters were needed as they doused the smoldering debris.
One firefighter needed medical attention. He was treated for shortness of breath, said to be caused by exertion. Those in the home all escaped safely.
“Fortunately everybody that was in the home got out ok and they’re gonna be taken care of by our Victims' Services Unit and the American Red Cross,” explained Oates.
The American Red Cross is providing comfort kits and recovery services.
For those in the neighborhood, the fire has given them pause.
“That could be one of my siblings or my parents,” added Kevin Greene. “It just makes you be grateful for what you have.”