Derby Assault Victim Describes Violent Attack - NBC Connecticut

Derby Assault Victim Describes Violent Attack



    Man Beaten While Walking in Derby

    A man underwent 6 hours of surgery for a broken jaw after being beaten in an unprovoked attack while he walked home from a restaurant in Derby.

    (Published Wednesday, Oct. 10, 2018)

    A Derby man who says he was the victim of a random, unprovoked assault is speaking about his experience as police investigate whether the assault is linked to another attack just days later.

    The first one happened on September 30 on the corner of Seymour Avenue and Hawkins Street. Ken Warm, the 60-year-old victim, said he was walking home from a local restaurant around 1 a.m. when he came across three men. One of them started punching, fracturing his jaw in two places.

    The second assault occurred October 3 before midnight, according to Derby police. That victim is a 56-year-old man, but officers said the men in the second attack have different suspect descriptions.

    Warm described three attackers in their 20s wearing jeans and t-shirts around 5-foot-9 to 6-foot tall.

    “I told the police officer out there you better find these guys because they're gonna hurt somebody else too,” Warm told NBC Connecticut.

    Warm showed his injuries. “I have a fracture here and a fracture here. It was like a six-hour surgery,” he said.

    After the attack, Warm had his jaw wired shut. He's been out of work since the assault, which he said happened while he was walking home from dinner and drinks at a local restaurant.

    “All I remember is just three people and they had the weirdest body language,” he said.

    Warm recalled it was around 1 a.m. on Seymour Avenue and Hawkins Street when he spotted the three men.

    "They didn't say anything, they just had that look like, they weren't there to make anything better for anybody,” Warm added.

    And one, Warm explained, punched him two or three times.

    "I remember walking by the gentleman on the right and he punched me right in the jaw here and then I remember very little. It was so fast, had to be about two minutes, three minutes. And I couldn't understand why. All of a sudden they were running away with my bag and charger."

    The suspects didn't even take his wallet or cell phone. Warm said he walked down the street to Griffin Hospital, where he called 911. And police interviewed him. No words were ever exchanged between Warm and the suspects.

    “Never touched the eye, the head. Never touched anything else I don't know why. And I think it was just adrenaline, pure adrenaline. When you're in shock just want to get to a safe space,” Warm told NBC Connecticut.

    “He broke his jaw in two spots and left him for dead basically! I mean that's terrible. And he's a wonderful man,” one neighbor said of Warm.

    Warm is fairly new to this quiet community and keeps to himself. Wendy Goff has served him many times.

    “Something needs to be done,” she added.

    Warm has a message for his attackers: “It’s a matter of time before you get caught, might as well turn yourself in.”

    Police are trying to review surveillance from the area but want anyone with information to give them a call.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime