First Responder Shares Furnace Rescue Mission - NBC Connecticut

First Responder Shares Furnace Rescue Mission



    A Colon Cancer Patient Gets the Right Care at the Right Time
    Jonathan Metz is recovering after days spent stuck in his furnace.

    It started as a simple welfare check, but quickly turned into a rescue mission. 
    That's how Sgt. Douglas Frink describes the events of June 9th, when he and several others found Jonathan Metz's with a partially amputated arm.

      "It was probably about 90% amputated.  It was severed mostly through the bicep, the humerus and the tricep.  There was just a little bit of tricep still attached," said Sgt. Frink, West Hartford Police Dept.
    That was the first thing Sgt. Frink noticed when he stormed into the basement of Metz's West Hartford home.  He was one of the first to lay eyes on what was left of Metz's bloody arm.
    "Metz was going in and out of consciousness.  I think he was in a state of extreme shock," said Frink.
    Metz had tried to saw off his own arm, after getting it stuck inside his cast iron boiler.  Police say he first used a hacksaw and then a drywall saw to free himself.  He says he only stopped when he hit a bundle of nerves that were too painful to cut through.
    "The cut was going well, surprisingly well actually, for about half the way through and I don't know if I hit an artery or vein or whatever it was but the level of blood that began to come out of the wound became alarming and the tourniquet I had fashioned became ineffective. I sat down as best I could at that point and started to have thoughts that this was gonna be it," said Metz.
    Help eventually came, but by then he'd lost touch with reality.
    "He told us the injury we were seeing to his arm was an old injury.  He said that was what it looked like before he had a prosthetic device on his arm.  He was already imagining in his mind that he has been fitted with a prosthetic for his arm," said Frink.
    Metz says he survived the days long ordeal by drinking water from the boiler.  Frink saw the water first hand and says its a true testament to Metz's will to survive.
    "It was pretty nasty.  It was rusty.  The water that came out was disgusting.  It's just goes to show he's extremely lucky to be alive," said Frink.