Hartford Fireman Arrested, Placed on Leave - NBC Connecticut

Hartford Fireman Arrested, Placed on Leave



    Hartford Fireman Arrested, Placed on Leave
    Julian Perez, a Hartford firefighter, has been arrested after a disturbance in a home and placed on paid administrative leave.

    A Hartford firefighter has been placed on paid administrative leave after police arrested him late Thursday night after he threatened a Babcock Street resident with a gun while he was off-duty, police said.

    Police found Julian Perez, 26, of East Hartford, in possession of a Ruger 38 revolver and marijuana when Hartford officers responded to 33 Babcock St. at 10:44 p.m. upon hearing a disturbance, police said.

    Police arrested Perez and the residents Thomas Rivera Jr., 28, and Lisandra Rodriguez, 41, on disorderly conduct and other charges.

    "I thought people were just, like, fighting, so I went to the front and I seen, like, a whole bunch of cops," neighbor Joshua Rivera told NBCConnecticut. "And I just seen the guy getting maced and tazed."

    Police say that Perez of East Hartford was carrying a gun and threatening to shoot Thomas Rivera Jr.



    Hartford's fire chief placed Perez on paid leave after learning of the arrest pending the investigation outcome, police said.

    NBC Connecticut went to the home of Perez to speak with him. He wasn't there, but his brother-in-law was. When asked what happened in Thursday's incident, he said, "I have no idea. I mean, I got called over to watch the baby. That’s all that happened for me."

    Police have not released further information on the circumstances of the incident at this time. The relationship between Perez and the two Babcock Street residents is unclear.

    Perez also faces a second-degree threatening and possession of a controlled substance charge. He does not face any gun-related charges because he has a pistol permit.

    Rivera and Rodriguez were also arrested on charges of interfering with a police officer.

    Rodriguez also faces several other charges related to an outstanding failure to appear arrest warrant, police said.


    Police held Perez on a $20,000 bond until his court appearance, but he has since been released on a written promise to appear in court June 16. In the meantime, he must turn in any firearms, undergo a toxicology screening and stay away from Rivera.

    More information will be provided as it becomes available.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android