Hartford police have identified a suspect accused of making a threat against the St. Patrick’s Day Parade.
Police said Friday the threat did not appear to be valid, and on Saturday police announced that they had identified the suspect, who is a former Connecticut resident no longer in this part of the country. The person was not publicly named.
The event, which draws tens of thousands of people to the city, went ahead as scheduled with security in place.
Hartford police said threats toward the St. Patrick’s Day parade, school shootings and other acts of terrorism were posted on several social media pages, including a local TV station, and detectives and crime analysts in the command center immediately began to vet the threat.
The investigation revealed several indications that the account used was a fraud or spoof, according to police.
They met with the person whose account was spoofed and determined the account had been created to annoy and harass the victim whose name the account was created in.
Authorities are asking people to reach out to police directly to investigate rather than repost on social media.