Improper Disposal of Ashes Caused Milford Garage Fire: Fire Officials - NBC Connecticut

Improper Disposal of Ashes Caused Milford Garage Fire: Fire Officials

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    Clinical Trials at Hartford HealthCare
    Milford Fire Department
    Milford fire officials say this garage fire on Yale Avenue was caused by the improper disposal of ashes from a wood-burning stove.

    Improper disposal of ashes is to blame for a garage fire in Milford Monday, according to Milford fire officials.

    Crews were called to the home at 169 Yale Ave. around 12:42 p.m. Firefighters found active flames coming out of the walls when they arrived.

    The homeowner told fire officials he had emptied ashes from a wood burning stove into the plastic recycling bin around 9:30 a.m. The bin, which he left next to the garage, started the fire.

    The damage was mostly confined to the exterior of a two-car garage and a car inside the garage was not damaged. No one was hurt.

    Fire officials said ashes and embers from a fireplace or wood-burning stove should be placed in a fire-rated metal container at a reasonable distance away from your home.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime