The mother of one of the children killed in last month's massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School said Thursday she is disappointed she hasn't had an opportunity to be heard in the discussion over gun control in Washington.
Veronique Pozner's 6-year-old son, Noah, was among 20 first-graders killed by a gunman Dec. 14.
"As the mother of a six year old victim of a cold-blooded massacre of school children, I am puzzled and disappointed by the fact that I have had no information or opportunity to be heard regarding the upcoming legislative proposal in Washington," she said in a statement.
The statement was released by Veronique Pozner's brother, Alexis Haller, who said a White House official he met during President Barack Obama's visit to Newtown encouraged him to reach out if he had any concerns. Haller said he asked officials earlier this month if victims' families would be informed of initiatives stemming from the massacre, but he never heard back.
Haller said the family has ideas it wants to share with the White House and it wants to be part of the discussion about the response to the Dec. 14 massacre, in which the gunman also killed six adults at the school before committing suicide.
"I think the families have an important voice, and I think those voices need to be heard by the people who are proposing the reforms," said Haller, who stressed he was speaking only for his family.
The Obama administration is assembling proposals to curb gun violence that would include a ban on sales of assault weapons, limits on high-capacity ammunition magazines and universal background checks for gun buyers.
The White House released a statement Thursday night.
"There is no perspective more meaningful in this process than that of a parent who has lost a child. We remain in touch with families from Newtown and will present an opportunity for all of them to share their views before the President makes any decisions."