Teen Suspected in Shooting of 14-Year-Old Near Hillhouse High - NBC Connecticut

Teen Suspected in Shooting of 14-Year-Old Near Hillhouse High



    Connect to Healthier Through the Sport of Golf
    Police are responding to Hillhouse High School in New Haven.

    Police have arrested a 17-year-old New Haven boy in connection with the shooting of a 14-year-old student outside Hillhouse High School in New Haven after a basketball game.

    Around 8 p.m. on Monday, police received the report of shots fired at Dixwell Avenue and Munson Street, an intersection is a few blocks away from the school, which is located at 480 Sherman Parkway.

    There they found a ninth-grade high school student suffering from two gunshot wounds. Police said the victim was shot in the hand and a bullet also grazed his leg.

    His injuries are considered non-life threatening and police said an ambulance brought him to the hospital for treatment.

    The shooting happened just after a Hillhouse High School vs. Career High School basketball game at the Floyd Little Athletic Center that had drawn a crowd of 2,000.

    Spectators were in the process of leaving when the gunshots rang out and scattered, police said.

    Responding officers surrounded the school and blocked off the Sherman Parkway at Henry Avenue and Munson Avenue. Police taped off the athletic center and an ambulance arrived on Munson Street to transport the victim.

    Nine officers, including several New Haven police school resource officers, along with school security, were present during and after the game and responded to the incident, according to police.

    Police said they have arrested a 17-year-old Dixwellk New Light High School student in connection with the shooting and he turned himself in today. He is being charged with assault and weapons charges, police said.

    "Our most important responsibility as a school district is to ensure the safety of our 22,000 students, as well as staff, in our schools. I thank Police Chief Esserman for his department's swift and thorough action in investigating this case and for working with our school staff and security teams to protect our schools. I also thank our own security and school staff for doing all the right things to keep kids safe in school," Supt. Garth Harries said in a statement.

    No information has been released on a possible motive.

    Authorities also said two adults were arrested, but the arrests were for interfering with police.

    Police said they found a gun on the ground near where they made the arrests but had not been able to connect it to the shooting.