Portable Generator Elevated Carbon Monoxide Levels in Westport Home: Officials - NBC Connecticut

Portable Generator Elevated Carbon Monoxide Levels in Westport Home: Officials

    processing...

    NEWSLETTERS

    How Doctors are Shining New Light on Skin Cancer Diagnoses
    Westport Fire Department

    Residents of a Westport home were evacuated Sunday morning after carbon monoxide detectors went off. Officials said a portable generator has been running too close to the home and the alarms went off when power was restored to the residence. 

    The Westport Fire Department received a call at 11:20 a.m. from an alarm company reporting a carbon monoxide alarm and found an elevated reading of carbon monoxide of 120 ppm, so the four residents were evacuated and Westport EMS evaluated them. 

    Sustained carbon monoxide levels above 70 ppm can cause a headache, fatigue and nausea, according to the Consumer Product Safety Board. When levels are sustained above 150 to 200 ppm, disorientation, unconsciousness and death are possible. 

    Crews determined the source of the carbon monoxide was a portable generator that was running too close to the home. 

    The homeowner had disconnected the battery and the alarm indicating elevated carbon monoxide levels went off when power was restored. 

    The Westport Fire Department urges residents to report any problems with your alarm system to your alarm company for repair. If your alarm system needs repair or is faulty, place battery-powered smoke and carbon monoxide detectors throughout your home until your alarm system is repaired. 

    They also urge residents to replace your batteries in your detectors and alarm panels twice a year at daylight savings time to ensure they will work in times of a power outage. 

    They also urge residents to read and follow the instructions on the generator, including keeping at least five feet of clearance around the generator. 

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime