Fairfield firefighters said they've put out a potentially hazardous trash fire on a garbage truck and propane cylinders in the debris could have potentially exploded and seriously injured the driver or firefighters.
The truck fire happened at about 6 a.m. on Thursday on Post Road and emergency responders instructed the garbage truck driver to dump the flaming refuse into the road to prevent it from extending to the vehicle, according to the fire department.
It took several firefighters with heavy equipment to bring the blaze under control.
The driver wasn't hurt, but the department said remains of propane cylinders in the debris could have potentially exploded and seriously injured the driver or firefighters.
Fire officials said propane tanks and other pressurized cylinders must be disposed at designated collection points and never in residential waste.
The Town of Fairfield transfer station at 898 Richard White Way accepts typical camp and grill-size propane cylinders for a $1 or $5 fee, according to the Fairfield Fire Department, and they urge people to contact their town refuse program for their list of accepted materials.