Two of the 26 families whose loved ones died in the 2012 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School have filed a lawsuit against the town, the school and the board of education.
The estates of first-grade students Noah Pozner and Jesse Lewis, who were among 20 children and six educators killed when gunman Adam Lanza opened fire at the elementary school Dec. 14, 2012, filed the lawsuit with the town clerk on Friday. The paperwork is dated Dec. 12, 2014.
The suit alleges that the school failed to provide proper safety measures to protect students from the "imminent danger" with which they were confronted when Lanza shot his way through glass windows at the front of the school.
According to the lawsuit, the town "failed to provide the Sandy Hook Elementary School with a secure front entrance, leaving a non-security glass window... directly next to the locked doors of the school," rendering the locked doors "irrelevant and impotent."
Sandy Hook Families File Lawsuit
Jesse and Noah died in their classrooms, which did not lock from the inside. The lawsuit alleges that their teachers were not properly trained in security protocol and did not have keys to lock the classroom doors.
"At the time Adam Lanza entered these rooms, no doors had been locked, none of the children had been moved to a safe location, like the bathroom located inside both of these classrooms; bathrooms which could be locked from the inside," the paperwork says.
The lawsuit also says the school had practiced lockdown and evacuation drills but had never before implemented those measures in a real-life situation, leaving staff members unprepared.
There was also no security guard or law enforcement officer at the school to help enforce safety measures in the event oft he emergency, the suit alleges.
The lawsuit erroneously names the school superintendent as David Fleishman, who serves as the superintendent in Newton, Massachusetts. At the time of the shooting, Janet Robinson was superintendent in Newtown.
It also refers to the current principal at Sandy Hook Elementary School as Sandy Gombos, while the principal's name is listed on the school website as Kathy Gombos.
New Fight for Tougher Federal Gun Laws
Norwalk attorney Donald Papscy, who represents the families of Jesse and Noah, said the copy of the lawsuit obtained by NBC Connecticut will be amended to correct the names before being filed in court.
The suit seeks $15,000 in damages to cover the cost of the children's funeral expenses and compensate their families for the incomes they'll never earn and the lives they'll never lead.
"We are hopeful that the Town of Newtown’s elected and hired representatives will work with these families, who have already suffered, and continue to suffer, unimaginable loss, to help resolve this matter in the most efficient and constructive way possible," Papcsy told NBC Connecticut in a statement Monday afternoon.
"As residents of the town, we all either have, or are going to have, students in our Sandy Hook schools, and we promote the idea of learning from the past and protecting our children in the future," Papcsy added.
It's the second lawsuit filed in the wake of the massacre. Last month, a law firm representing nine of the victims' families filed a suit against the manufacturer, distributor and seller of the rifle Lanza used.
Town Attorney David Grogins declined to comment to the Associated Press on Monday.