Suspect in Mitchell Dubey Murder Due in Court - NBC Connecticut

Suspect in Mitchell Dubey Murder Due in Court

Mitchell Dubey, an avid cyclist and musician, was gunned down in 2011.



    Suspect in Mitchell Dubey Murder Due in Court
    Tashaun Fair has been charged with the murder of Mitchell Duby.

    A man accused of killing an avid cyclist and musician in New Haven in March 2011 will appear in Superior Court today.

    In August 2012, police charged Tashaun Fair, of New Haven, with home invasion and the felony murder of Mitchell Dubey.

    Dubey was shot and killed during a brutal home invasion at his Bassett Street apartment on March 24, 2011.

    On the night of the crime, Dubey answered the door at his apartment and a man with a gun forced his way inside, his roommates said, and demanded that Dubey and his roommates sit on the couch and empty their pockets.

    A Ride To Remember

    [HAR] A Ride To Remember
    Friends and former colleagues of Mitchell Dubey mark the first anniversary of his murder with a bicycle ride in his memory.
    (Published Friday, Jan. 30, 2015)

    Dubey was shot in the chest while trying to reason with the man and was pronounced dead at the Hospital of St. Raphael's.

    According to police, Fair expected Dubey and a roommate to be in the house, but several friends were in from out of state. He did not expect so many people, got scared, shot Dubey and ran off, police said.

    Police identified Fair as a suspect early on, but his face was covered during the home invasion and witnesses were not able to identify him from lineups or photos, police said.  

    But an informant did come forward and identified Fair.

    "I’m pretty sure that a year-and-a-half later, he had thought he had gotten away with it, so it was good to see the look on his face when he realized he didn’t get away with it," Police Sgt. Tony Reyes said.

    According to court records, Fair was charged with third-degree criminal trespass in 2011. 

    He was charged with third-degree robbery in September 2011, convicted and sentenced on June 25, 2012, according to court records. The New Haven Register reports that the arrest was for stealing a scooter that was parked in front of a church.  

    Fair pleaded not guilty. His trial begins today.