Police Open Fire on Watertown Driver - NBC Connecticut

Police Open Fire on Watertown Driver

Investigators say the driver tried to run over officers.



    Police Open Fire on Watertown Driver
    A Watertown man was arrested Friday morning after reportedly trying to drive over police officers, leading one officer to open fire.

    State police have arrested a Watertown man who reportedly tried to run over an officer at the 7-Eleven on Davis Street.

    Keith Nettleton, 36, of 106 Edison Avenue in Watertown, was arrested Friday morning after leading police on a chase into Waterbury.

    It happened around 8 a.m. while Watertown police were making a separate arrest at the 7-Eleven. Police said a man had attempted to rob the convenience store.

    According to police, officers were at the scene when they recognized a car that pulled into the parking lot. Police said the car, driven by Nettleton, had been linked to a number of other crimes in the area.

    When officers approached, Nettleton put the car in reverse and sped across the parking lot. The car "made slight contact" with one Watertown officer and came close to hitting a second, police said.

    As the car approached, one Watertown officer fired a shot, according to police.

    Police chased Nettleton onto Watertown Avenue in Waterbury. Nettleton lost control and hit a phone pole near Rosette Street, authorities said.

    Nettleton tried to escape on foot, but police caught up to him before he could make it to the woods.

    He was taken to Waterbury Hospital for treatment of a minor injury received during the crash and was later released.

    Nettleton was charged with two counts of first-degree attempted assault, reckless endangerment, reckless driving, interfering with police and engaging police in pursuit.

    He is being held on a $500,000 bond and is due in court Monday.

    State police are continuing to investigate.

    Get the latest from NBC Connecticut anywhere, anytime

    • Download the App

      Available for IOS and Android