The power is still out for about 750 homes and businesses in New Haven after an early morning underground fire.
An electrical fire started in an underground transformer vault in front of 247 College Street and sent smoke spewing above ground. Firefighters were able to contain it so it did not spread to other buildings, but the fire did spark a secondary blaze on Crown Street.
Several streets were closed down as firefighters investigated and power outages affected homes and businesses, including the Schubert Theater and Taft apartments.
There were no performances scheduled at the Schubert on Thursday and theater staff said the play will go on this weekend. Beauty and the Beast opens on Friday. It's a fortunate thing that this happened before the curtains open.
The performances are sold out, or nearly sold out, according to theater management.
"We're pretty confident that the show will go on," John Fisher, executive director of the Shubert Theater said.
The cause could be a utility vault, according to the New Haven Fire Department, but that has not been confirmed.
The fire also closed College Street.
Investigators and a crew from United Illuminating are at the scene, investigation.