Amber Alert for Toddler Canceled

The man who prompted an Amber Alert in New Haven on Wednesday is being held on $750,000 on Thursday.  

Police said Robert Williamson, 46, kidnapped his 1-year-old biological daughter, Madison Wilson, in New Haven on Wednesday and family helped convince him to turn himself in to police. 

Police were dispatched to Valley Street for a domestic dispute at 10:52 a.m. on Wednesday and Madison's mother said the baby's father had forced his way inside her home and taken the baby.

She told police she has been clearing the snow from her car before heading to court regarding Williamson when the babysitter told her Williamson had come to the house and demanded to see the baby.

The babysitter had argued with him, told him the baby wasn't there and thought Williamson left when he walked back toward the street, police said. 

Then the babysitter heard a knock at the door, opened it and found Williamson, who pushed her aside, went upstairs, took the baby from her crib and left with her, police said.

Police on Wednesday said they feared Williamson had a gun. From the news release from police, it appears there was some confusion over whether Williamsson was armed.

The sitter said she hadn't seen a gun in Williamson's possession, but in the initial call to police, the child's mother said she'd seen Williamson with a gun, but later told police she hadn't.

Her cousin, who'd seen Williamson leave with the baby, said Williamson had one hand in his pocket and he didn't try to intervene for fear that Williamson might have had a gun, police said. The mother indicated that her intention was never to exacerbate the situation.

Police started to search for Williamson and said an Amber Alert was issued when they learned that Williamson had no court-granted custody of the baby.

Investigators also learned there was an active court protection order for the mother and Williamson is prohibited from being near her, their home and Madison, police said.

At 11:33 a.m., the mother called police and said Williamson called her and said, "I'm going to kill myself and the baby. .... I tried to kill myself before and this time I'm going to do it."

Just before 1:30 p.m., Williamson called police at the West Hills Police Sub-station and indicated he'd bring the baby to the State Department of Children & Family's office at Long Wharf. Then the location changed to Orange Avenue near the Ella T. Grasso Boulevard, according to a news release from police.

Meanwhile, Williamson had taken the baby to his grandmother's home in West Haven, left his car there and two acquaintances brought them to the site to meet with police. The baby was OK, police said, and officers took Williamson into custody.

Williamson was arrested and charged with kidnapping in the first degree, home invasion, risk of injury to a child, custodial interference and criminal violation of a restraining order.

Officials said he is on probation for prior convictions on burglary and assault charges.

Police initially reported Madison's age as 2, but the Madison's mother told NBC Connecticut her daughter just turned 1.

Contact Us