Aquarion Water Company is asking residents to conserve water and reduce non-essential water use because of an extended dry spell across parts of the state.
According to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), Connecticut is experiencing conditions between “abnormally dry” to “moderate drought.”
Aquarion says its reservoirs and wells are below normal capacity and is asking customers to reduce outdoor water use. The company offers the following tips:
- Allow grass to grow longer; taller grass is healthier and requires less water
- Use brooms or blowers instead of water to clean decks, driveways and sidewalks
- Don’t wash cars or boats with a hose
- Shut off ornamental water displays
- Do not leave water running while washing hands, shaving, or brushing teeth
- Take shorter showers
- Hand-wash dishes in a basin, not under running water
- Repair leaks in plumbing and fixtures
The company also asks that customers using irrigation systems or hose-end sprinklers only water twice a week.
For more information visit their website.