Attempt to Thaw Pipes Sparks Fairfield House Fire: Officials

Firefighters were called to Cornell Road in Fairfield after a house caught fire while the homeowner was attempting to defrost frozen pipes Friday morning, according to the Fairfield Fire Department.

Fire officials said the resident called 911 right away when flames broke out around 10 a.m. in the basement of 333 Cornell Road.

Firefighters arrived to find smoke and fire emanating from the basement and first floor. They had the fire under control within 45 minutes and said the immediate emergency call minimized damage to the home.

The fire department is directing residents to the American Red Cross website for guidance as to how to prevent pipes from freezing. Rather than attempting to thaw frozen pipes on your own, contact a licensed plumber.

Contact Us