The state has closed five swimming areas due to high bacteria levels.
According to the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, water samples taken Monday showed elevated bacteria levels at the following state beaches:
- Day Pond State Park - Colchester
- Wharton Brook State Park - Wallingford
- Indian Well State Park - Shelton
- Wadsworth Falls State Park - Middlefield
- Chatfield Hollow State Park - Killingworth
"The swimming areas were closed due to runoff that carries bacteria following the recent heavy rains," Susan Frechette, DEEP Deputy Commissioner, said. "The test results for the swimming areas at these beaches were above standards for safe swimming and these areas will be closed until the sample results show improvement."
New water samples were being taken at four of the beaches Tuesday, with results expected Wednesday. Water at Indian Well State Park will be sampled on Wednesday with the results available Thursday, according to DEEP.