Residents of a home for disabled clients in Cheshire were sent to the hospital Sunday for observation after they ate part of a cake laced with prescription pills, officials said.
A staff member brought the cake to the home on Creamery Road on Saturday, state police said. While the cake was being served Sunday to the residents, one of the employees noticed what appeared to be small pills in the cake, state police said. More pills were then found on the bottom of the cake.
The state police and EMS were called to the house and anyone who ate the cake was taken to St. Mary's and Bradley Memorial Hospital to be examined as a precautionary measure. No one appeared sick at the home or at the hospital, police said.
Investigators interviewed employees at the scene and they found the employee who baked and brought the cake to the facility. The troopers determined that during the baking process, the employee accidentally spilled her prescription medication in the kitchen. And while she thought she had accounted for all the pills, it appeared some of them ended up in the cake batter.
The facility is overseen by the State Department of Developmental Services.
A state police press statement indicated that the investigation was continuing to determine if any criminal chargers would be filed in the case.
Police did not specify what kind of medication was in the prescription pills. No charges have been filed.