Carbon Dioxide Leak Forced Evacuations in Enfield

Families were evacuated due to a carbon dioxide leak in Enfield Thursday morning and roads were shut down.

The leak was from the TechAir facility on Spring Street in the Thompsonville section of town, according to officials. They said a valve broke and the leak has been contained and stopped.

Officials said they received a call around 5:20 a.m. from a resident reporting a vapor cloud in his backyard.

The scene is near the Connecticut River and the Route 190 Bridge across the river was closed briefly because a gas cloud formed above the bridge, fire officials said.

The leak caused 15- to 20-minute delays on Metro-North’s Hartford line.

TechAir was formerly known as Esquire Gas.

“Our internal safety protocols were followed, and the matter is now resolved. There were zero injuries, and no adverse environmental impact,” TechAir said in a statement. “In addition to instituting internal safety measures, we alerted first responders including the local fire department that led to response. Their leadership ensured a rapid resolution. While on the scene, a brief shutdown of highway 190, local railroad track, and temporary evacuation of a few nearby homes were ordered to protect the area.”

TechAir said it will conduct an internal review.

Contact Us