fire

Couple Burned During Early Morning House Fire in Waterbury

Two residents of a home on Willow Street are recovering from burns in the hospital after a large fire on Tuesday morning.

Waterbury Fire Department said a call came in around 1:30 a.m. about a fire on Willow Street.

When crews arrived, they found the heaviest fire on the second and third floors. 

Two residents were taken to the hospital, firefighters said.

Randy Dempsky described the moments following his neighbor's home erupting in flames.

“I was watching TV, and all of a sudden, I heard this loud scream. So I ran outside and both our neighbors were badly burned. I took them into my house. Went and slammed on my roommate’s door. Then I called 911, and as I was calling 911, I ran down to the firehouse and smashed on the Plexiglass and woke all the firemen up,” he said.

Dempsky told NBC Connecticut that the two people who were taken to the hospital are a couple. He said the woman was badly burned on her face and was in much worse condition, compared to her husband.

All of the residents who were displaced were sent to the North End Recreation Center, which serves as a warming center. It is unclear how many people total were displaced.

The Fire Marshal's Office said they cannot start their investigation until the ice on the house thaws out. 

Contact Us