People in nearby buildings were evacuated on Thursday after crews responded to a Vernon building.
Authorities were called by Eversource for a reported gas leak in the 70 block of Elm Street around 3 p.m.
When officers arrived, they noticed a strong odor. Police then took precautionary measures and evacuated people from all nearby buildings.
About five to nine buildings were affected, including a Veteran home.
Residents have been shuttled to a nearby senior center and were there until it was deemed safe to return.
There does not appear to be any immediate danger at this time.
Eversource was on the scene working in the area when the gas leak occurred and are were later working on shutting the gas off.