Daily Blotter — April 27

A Roundup of All Things Criminal in CT

Man Shot, Killed in Hartford

Hartford police are investigating the fatal shooting of a man Sunday night.

Police found the male victim after 10 p.m. Sunday night in a parking lot in the 100 block of Sherbrooke Avenue. He had been shot once and later died at Hartford Hospital.

No information is being released about the victim. Police say they are trying to identify him and notify his family.

Board Considers Mentally Ill Man's Release

The Connecticut Psychiatric Security Review Board is being asked to consider releasing a mentally ill man who killed his pregnant wife in 1998 as their young son watched. Doctors at Connecticut Valley Hospital said David Messenger, 57, should be issued a temporary leave from the facility. Messenger was acquitted of manslaughter by reason of mental disease or mental defect in 2001 and committed to the hospital for 20 years. He was charged with fatally bludgeoning his wife, Heather Messenger, with a piece of wood and a fireplace poker. The psychiatric security review board is slated to review his case this week. 

Fatal Bar Fight

One man is dead and another is charged with murder after a weekend bar fight. James Batista, 22,  of Waterbury was being held Sunday on $1 million bond and is scheduled to be arraigned Monday in Waterbury Superior Court.  Battista is charged with stabbing Ralph Pepe, 22, of Wallingford in the chest and stomach during an argument at a local bar around 12:30 a.m. Sunday, according to police. Pepe was pronounced dead at Waterbury Hospital.  Police have recovered video surveillance tapes and the weapon believed to have been used in the homicide. 

Pickup and Minibike Collide

Connecticut police are investigating a collision between a pickup truck and a moped on Florence Street in East Haven that killed a 9-year-old boy Sunday afternoon. The accident remains under investigation and police said no charges have been filed.

Copyright AP - Associated Press
Contact Us